Kellie's Cheddar Chive Scones
Adapted from Baking Artisan Pastries & Breads by Ciril HitzIngredients:
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 10 Tablespoons unsalted *cold* butter, sliced into 1 tablespoon cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cheddar shredded
- 1/2 cup chives chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Work the cold butter cubes into the dry ingredients using your fingertips or a fork until the butter pieces are no larger than the size of a pea.
- Make a depression in the center of the crumbly dry ingredients and pour the buttermilk into this well. Using a rubber spatula, blend together by folding the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- When the batter just comes together and is still a little lumpy, add the cheddar and chives and briefly mix with your hands.
- Place batter on a flour-dusted surface and gently fold a couple times until it comes together as a manageable dough ball. *It’s important at this step to not overwork your dough.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into balls. Press or roll into two 5/8"-thick disks. Cut each disk into triangular wedges, 8 per circle.
- Place scones on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and let rest for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375. While resting, melt butter, then brush the tops of the scones.
- Bake for approximately 15-18 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and let cool on the sheet pan or cookie sheet.
Pro tip: Got a household crew? Pick out and hide your scones before they demolish the rest!