Shibori is the ancient Japanese art of folding and binding fabric and dyeing in an indigo vat. The bound areas remain bright white while the rest of the fabric turns beautiful shades of rich royal blue.
This kit includes everything you need to create your own unique textiles, and comes in two sizes. Each size is specially formulated to produce deep blue shades for maximum pattern contrast.
The small kit produces a one-gallon vat that dyes around three yards (one pound) of fabric and includes two bandanas and over 15 resists for creating patterns (rubber bands, hemp twine, wooden craft sticks and squares, and clothespins for tying your fabric).
The large kit produces a five-gallon vat that dyes around 15 yards (five pounds) of fabric and includes four bandanas and additional resists.
Our step-by-step instructional guide and accompanying videos walk you through important details like how to:
- Mix the indigo dye vat
- Fold the fabric using traditional shibori techniques
- Dye fabric to the perfect shade of indigo
- Care for the vat to continue dyeing until the indigo is depleted
- Additional dyeing techniques and how to maintain your indigo dye vat to use again and again.
Have fun creating unique wearable art! Go beyond the box by learning additional dyeing techniques and how to maintain your indigo dye vat to use again and again.
This kit contains:
- White cotton bandanas
- Indigo pigment
- Calcium hydroxide
- Fructose powder
- Rubber bands
- Hemp twine
- Wooden craft sticks and squares
- Our master indigo dye vat recipe
- Detailed instructions and hands-on video tutorials
Things you will need at home:
- One-gallon/five-gallon bucket with a lid (or cling wrap)
- Additional bucket or large mixing bowl
- Protective face mask
- Rubber gloves
- Large spoon
- ½ cup white vinegar
- Additional natural fabric items to dye (optional)