Modern Mixology: Shrubs
Ever drink a shrub? Before you google YouTube videos of bonsai trees in vitamix blenders, we’re talking about the flavorful vinegar-based ‘shrubs' showing up all over the happy hour scene. Come learn what all the buzz is about! Shrubs are the perfect base for a seasonal cocktail, and they're also great mixed with soda water for a non-alcoholic treat.
We'll teach you how to create shrub flavors that change with the seasons - from rhubarb to berries to tomatoes and more! Learn the difference between brew methods and when to use a hot process method versus cold. We'll walk you through every step along the way, including how to customize your seasonal produce with a 'zinger' to create an almost endless combination of flavors.
Take away our unique zinger guide, a series of serving suggestions, and the know-how to create shrubs all year round!
If you want to follow along hands-on with the video, you'll need the following materials:
- 1-2 cups worth of produce (fruits or vegetables)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vinegar (apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, or rice wine vinegar).
- 1 Tablespoon flavorings (herbs, spies, ginger, citrus zest), optional
- Pint sized mason jar or other container
- A fine mesh sieve, cheesecloth, or flour sack towel