· By Katie Goulet - use this one Collaborator
Our Favorite Berry Recipe
Whether you grow your own or pick some up at the farmers' market, fresh strawberries can't be beat!
This cross between a cookie bar and a crisp is one of our favorite summertime recipes. It features the berries of the season and is super simple to make. We're making it with strawberries right now, but you can swap in raspberries and blueberries as they come into season.
For our gluten-free friends, this recipe works GREAT with a GF flour. We've tested it that way ourselves!
Berry Crumb Bars
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 T arrowroot (or cornstarch)
- 4 cups fresh blueberries, strawberries (sliced), or raspberries, or a combination!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Add cold butter and cut in with two forks or pastry cutter. You want there to be pea-sized pieces of butter and the dough will be crumbly. Divide the dough in half and press one half into the prepared pan to form a crust.
- In another bowl, stir together the lemon juice, arrowroot, and berries. Sprinkle the berry mixture evenly over the crust. Take the remaining dough, squeeze it into clumps, and sprinkle it over the berry layer, loose crumbles and all.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.